Monday 10 June 2013

Bakau beats

Any one who lives in Bakau quickly gets used to the sound of drumming. If I were in a film drumming, alternated with singing from the mosque, would be the soundtrack. On Saturday evening it seemed like the volume had been turned up. I decided to stand on my balcony and take a video, to try and capture the sounds and images of the children dancing in the street below. 


An hour or so later I realised that the rhythm and the squeals of delight from the street had intensified, and when I looked out of the window I could see loads more children dancing to the beat. 


I could also see that some masquerades had arrived. 


I realised that the children were dancing in the street to taunt the masquerades, who would then suddenly charge at the children and try to capture them! The children would run and scatter, leaping over walls and running across roads to get away. After capture the masquerades would drag the children behind a curtain that had been put up. Who knows if they were ever seen again! 





No comments:

Post a Comment