Tuesday 3 June 2014

Bits and bobs (and muscles!)

New walking route
Feeling the need to shake off the sedentary few days of the Training of Trainers workshop, I took a walk on Friday afternoon with Ellie. We walked from Fajara to Cape Point, a route I hadn't done in full before as it depends entirely on the tide. Most of the time the route is inaccessible, but at low tide you can get round - with a bit of scrambling over rocks in parts. It was an interesting walk, past some nice rock formations and quiet coves, and it was a relief to feel the cool sea breeze. 





Once at Cape Point we called into a bar for a soft drink, bumping into some people we knew, and had a tonic while watching kingfishers and crocodiles gliding about in a marshy pool by the beach. 



From there we walked back to Bakau, picked up some fish from the market and went back to Ellie's where she cooked a delicious fish laksa. 

Gambian pop
Last Saturday I went to Safari Garden for internet and a nice swim. While we managed to get internet, the swimming part didn't happen as a local singer had taken over the pool for the day to shoot a music video! Despite missing a swim it was interesting to watch the girls (and boys!) having their makeup done, and the star of the video dancing about the pool and lip-syncing to his song. The song itself was hilarious - the chorus "Man dama buga, dama buga Gambia" (Me I like, I like the Gambia!) was surprisingly catchy, but the lyrics - praising the President, the education system, the security of the country, the joy of tapalapa and senfour bread, and his love of benachin were especially funny! 


Make up being done

Girls in position! 

The man himself,
bringing back the one glove look!


A Peter Andre moment
The weather
The climate has really changed, as they say here. Since I came back from trek the humidity and temperature has been rising, but any rain has been at night. This all changed yesterday evening when, cycling home, I saw the sky turn black and felt the wind start to howl. Cycling as fast as I could to get home before the downpour I was nearly blown off my bike and felt a bit like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz! Making it home just in time (although still a bit wet and grubby where I had been hit by big fat sand-filled rain drops) the skies opened and the first real torrential rain came down. The streets ran like rivers, the children danced, and the gutters poured their filth. Witnessing the power of the rain after so many months of sunshine felt oddly emotional. 




4 comments:

  1. hello my name is Anita and I'm Portuguese, my husband decided on this move in there in gambia and already has a deal in order to rent then did a search on the parents and came across your blog many parabens loved reading so I decided it write asking for help to some doubts and fears. I have a 12 year old daughter who also goes with us. know tell me if there are many European children to live there? In your opinion is it safe to have a child living there? my big concern to me and my filha.o power to help get thankful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anita, thank you for writing to me. It is a safe country, and children seem to have a lot of freedom here - although there isn't much to do for young people, for example no cinema or bowling / entertainment. But the beaches and outdoor activities are nice. There are a few international schools (for example Marina International) which European children attend, and there are a lot of Lebanese families with young children as well. Generally The Gambia is peaceful and laid back - the pace of life is relaxed. Imported foods can be bought at supermarkets, and fresh vegetables and fish from the markets. If you want more information or to talk you can add your email address and I will write back to you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. natsara hello, thanks for the help I was less afraid, I apologize if you write with mistakes because I'm writing with the help of the translator understand English well but not know how to speak or write very well when I get there I have to learn to speak in my email and parkeanita@hotmail.com
    I have so many questions I do not even know where to start.
    What do you miss ai not to mention family and friends?
    What do you advise me to take that away and hard to get there?
    Can you do me a big favor?
    My daughter has a food and be celiac disease can not eat anything with gluten.
    When you're there to a supermarket you can see if there is gluten free flours sale?
    And to see which type of flour of the corn, rice, cassava and cornmeal and flours that it can consume.
    My husband is undecided whether to rent a home to a beach bar that you think it is worth?
    The many tourists there?
    For now I think you will not upset you further.
    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anita, I have emailed you directly to answer your questions. Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete