Thursday 7 March 2013

Deadline met!

Phew! We submitted 25 out of 25 annual partnership review reports on time, meeting our 100% target. It was quite intense work filling in the reporting templates, and Ebou, Abdoulie and I were working crazy hours to get it finished (10+ hour days, evenings and weekends) but we got there in the end and it felt good! 

I really enjoyed the process - I learned a lot about the partners that VSO work with, saw more of the country, and learned more about Gambian culture, picking up a few extra Wollof words and some new Mandinka words along the way! And it has helped me to think about the Monitoring and Evaluation for the office, and what the volunteers need to be collecting to help with next year's reporting. I feel fired up and ready to go, brimming with ideas of how to work over the next few months...

But alas, as soon as I stopped working on the APR my body rallied against me for making it work so hard, and I came straight down with tonsillitis the day after we met the deadline. So - fired up I might be, but convincing the body to work hard might take a few more days yet! 

Thankfully it's pretty easy to self medicate here (with caution of course!). I knew it was tonsillitis - my Achilles heel - and after a few days of waiting it out to see if it was viral and/or would go away by itself I went to the pharmacy to get some antibiotics. While there the pharmacist gave me some painkillers for free, and the next day when I called in (he hadn't given me enough tablets) he gave me some free vitamin C tablets. I am used to the veg man giving me an orange or grapefruit or two, but it's quite unnerving when your pharmacist starts adding little extra pills to your bag, lucky dip style! Who knows what medication I will get for free next time! 

Lastly, here's a couple of pictures from the Growth and Competitiveness Project quarterly meeting we held in February.  

The NaWFA team - John and Aloysious (fellow vols)
with Njagga (Director) and Abou (Finance)

Rob, me, Shimoni and Abdoulie - the VSO Programme Manager

Me and Abdoulie kicking off the session before my presentation




No comments:

Post a Comment