Wednesday 11 September 2013

Pork and tortillas

On Saturday we went to Manjai to a friend's bar. He is moving into the world of pig farming and selling pork afra - pretty rare for these parts! We sat outside for as long as we could before the rain came, and then moved inside to eat and drink. After a while two huge trays of barbecued pork were brought out to us, and we all tucked in.




The pork was very delicious, and quickly shut us up as we all concentrated on eating... 


Note the look of sublime pleasure on Rob's face! 
Post-pork contentment!

In other food related news, always on the lookout for ways to liven up my evening meals as cheaply as possible, I have been trying to make flour tortillas. I tried once before, using a glass as a rolling pin, and although they worked they were a bit thick and chewy. While in England I bought a cheap rolling pin and last night I tried it out. 

The first one I made turned out pretty well, so I kept going! The recipe is very simple; mix flour, water, oil and salt, leave to rest, roll out, then lay on a hot pan for thirty seconds on each side. 



I found that my biggest challenge was rolling out circular tortillas, mine kept going a bit square! 


The gin in the background is water - honest.
I haven't gone all Keith Floyd.

But practice makes perfect and they started getting more consistent in shape. 



For dinner I used them to wrap up some rice and home-made tomato and sardine sauce - it was pretty delicious, and cheap and entertaining at the same time!  




No comments:

Post a Comment