Friday 26 September 2014

Time to move on

After a busy August on trek, and a hectic start to September, I suddenly find myself at home in the UK. My placement finished with a crazy final flourish, and I'm back on English soil - for a few weeks at least. I'm moving on to my next role, and for now it's time to say goodbye to The Gambia. 

It's a strange time to leave the country; with the threat of the Ebola virus hanging over everyone I can't help worry about the people I have come to know and love. Signs have gone up in shops to remind people not to shake hands (which really goes against usual cultural greetings), and awareness is rising about the disease so I hope it stays away. 
A familiar sight in shops and offices
I was talking to someone the other day who found it incredible that I had signed up for two years right from the beginning - they assumed I had extended a one year placement. I explained to him that I was fairly certain I'd like it, and that as far as I could see the benefits of a two year placement outweighed the risk of not liking it. Looking back over the last two years I can definitely say that I made the right decision. I had wanted to volunteer with VSO for years, I had the freedom to take a two year placement, and I felt that two years would help me to make the most of the opportunity. It takes a while to settle in to a new role, let alone a new country and continent, and I figured that one year would just go by too quickly. And looking back, it really seems like the time flew by. It wasn't always easy, and sometimes it felt like time stood still, but on the whole, the two years passed in a flash. 

I feel so lucky to have met so many great people and experienced such variety. Saying goodbye was tough, especially to those I might not see again, but I'm hopeful that I'll get to see a fair few of my new friends - in England but also in West Africa, as quite a few of us have made lasting connections and commitments in the region.   

For now, here's a couple of pictures from my last few days. I've enjoyed sharing my Gambian experience through this blog, and all that remains form me to say is... if you fancy volunteering just do it! I thoroughly recommend volunteering with VSO, and if you have the opportunity I really don't think you'll regret it. There are so many different roles and different placements, why not take a look
Leaving drinks at Caribe
Last afternoon on the beach, watching a man wash rams in the sea!
Saying goodbye to this one was particularly tough! 

No comments:

Post a Comment