Saturday 22 December 2012

Vicki's arrival and VSO party


Saturday was an exciting day – meeting Vicki at the airport and going to the VSO Christmas Party at Helen’s compound. In the morning Nicola and I shopped at Bakau for some of the party essentials (fresh prawns and red wine), and I called in to Bas the tailor to pick up a new dress and wrapper for myself, and a skirt and wrapper that I had had made for Vicki.
I had picked the material the week before from Serrakunda market – I ventured there by myself and was very pleased to get all the material I wanted for 35 dalasi a metre. When we first arrived in The Gambia Ellie, another volunteer, advised us that material was usually between 50-75 dalasi a metre and that if you managed to pay 35 dalasi you were truly Gambian, so I felt quite proud of my bartering skills!


Once at Helen’s house we marinated chicken, skewered the prawns, and drank George’s homemade baileys which I had been longing to drink after he gave me a taste of some a few weeks ago. Before I knew it the taxi was ready to take me to the airport, and I arrived just in time to see Vicki’s plane touch down - I was so excited to see her I thought I would pop!
Vicki and I drove back to my place, exchanged gifts and quickly got ready for the party. It was great for Vicki to be able to meet everyone straight away, and all the usual suspects were there.

Everyone brought different dishes and we had some really delicious food. After eating we did secret santa and decorated the VSO Christmas tree.



I don’t know who was more excitable at the party… us dancing around ‘Gangnam style’ in santa hats or the children in Helen’s compound. We engineered for them to get the gifts that they loved in the secret santa, and they seemed to really enjoy the party (I think the gallons of fizzy drink they had helped pump up their excitement levels!)




A moment of calm!


No comments:

Post a Comment