Thursday 21 November 2013

Rainy days

We are having a strange weather spell at the moment. We have technically moved into the season of 'nice' weather - weather that attracts the tourists with hot, clear, bright days and cool, comfortable night time temperatures. The last time it rained was the end of October, and in the first week of November the humidity plummeted. We thought that this was the end of the rains... until yesterday. 

The last few days have been really cloudy, quite windy and definitely a bit chilly - especially at night. And then last night it rained. Not quite the torrential rain of rainy season, but pretty persistent rain throughout the night. I think it's because we have guests! Nicola's parents are here, Janneke's sister is here, Martin's son is here, and Rao's wife was just here. All these people visiting volunteers have come expecting nice warm African sunshine and unfortunately it's been a bit gloomy, but things look set to improve from the weekend onwards. 

The grey weather reminded me of my rainy day down time back in rainy season. In September the rain and the humidity made leaving the house pretty challenging, so I spent the time indoors getting creative. I had a number of thank you cards to send out, so I brought some paints and set to work. I managed to entertain myself quite nicely, and even painted a birthday card for Janneke. 




Leybato scene for Janneke

1 comment:

  1. I have it on good authority that "this isn't rain, this is African snow".

    ReplyDelete