Monday 20 January 2014

Crocodiles

The last few days of my brother's holiday passed in a bit of a blur. I went back to work on the Monday and Paul and Rich came in to visit me and meet my colleagues. Everyone was very welcoming and it was nice for them to see where I work and who I work with. After we left we went for a juice with Carl on the beach, and then I think that night we went for another fancy meal... at Butcher's Shop again because we enjoyed it so much the week before. Afterwards we met some of the others for a drink at 777 Jackpot, a cheap local-ish place opposite that us vols visit for well priced plates of food and cheap drinks. 

Tuesday was a public holiday, to celebrate the Prophet Mohammed's birthday - Mawlid or Gamo as it is known in The Gambia. I think we spent the day relaxing by the pool.

On Wednesday I took another day off and we met Dr Helen, her brother and brother's girlfriend who were also on holiday in The Gambia. We met in Bakau and walked through to the crocodile park - Katchikali, which I hadn't visited since I first arrived last September (old blog post here). We had a look around the museum and then wandered through to the crocodiles - who were basking in the sun mostly covered in green slime. 









In the evening we went up to Soloman's for more fish in foil at sunset, as the boys had enjoyed it so much, and then we met Helen before going for a last drink or two in Bucurabu again.



Thursday morning I had to go to the police station to renew my Alien card, but managed to get back to Safari Garden with enough time to spare to see the guys off in their taxi to the airport. 

I really enjoyed having them to stay - both because I got a holiday and a lot of time to relax, and because it was nice to see things through fresh eyes again, and show my brother my new life here. The guys were really laid back and adapted well, slotting in with my friends here - so it was all very easy and a very peaceful but fun couple of weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment