Thursday 23 January 2014

Lettuce and food parcels!

A few months ago my mum sent some seeds to me - including the sprouting seeds that I blogged extensively about a few months ago! The seeds included lettuce and carrots which I finally got around to planting.


Carrots
Lettuce
A little while later...

I finally got to enjoy some of the lettuce last week, which grew pretty quickly and is already growing back again after my first crop. 

I went to Bakau fish market with Nicola and bought a ladyfish for 50dalasi (about 80p at the good exchange rate at the moment) and pan fried it to serve with a salad made up of my home-grown lettuce. It was delicious. 




The other day I also received a Christmas parcel from Alex. It had arrived before Christmas but due to the office being closed I got it on the 6 January - which is fine as I will save all the ingredients for a special meal with my other half. 


It was an amazing parcel, full of Christmas cheer! Panettone, chocolates, Christmas napkins, turkey gravy mix, stuffing, saucisson sec, parmesan cheese, mized herbs, bay leaves, stock cubes, spice mixes and yeast! So much fun to receive, and I can't wait to start eating and using it all! With the yeast I plan to take my tortilla/flat breads to the next level and make puffy naan breads in my pan - I can't wait and am already thinking of herbs and spices to add to them!

Then, a few weeks later, along with Dr Helen, came another package from my mum and dad - another bag of goodies!


This one contained sweets, jelly, custard, dumpling mix, cous cous mix, and soup (all things that I can just add water to and get a taste of home!) as well as some presents and more sprouting seeds. 

The presents included a lovely pair of earrings that mum had made for me, and a couple of pairs that I had asked her to make for some friends. I gave one set to Yama, and another to Aminata, the girl that I buy my breakfast from each morning. She always admires my things, sunglasses, shoes, earrings etc and once admired some earrings that my cousin had made for me. I explained that my cousin had made them, and that my mum had shown her how, and she thought they were lovely. She was very happy to receive her own pair!  

Earrings for me, made by Mum
Amina with her earrings
I feel very spoiled, and really appreciate the goodies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment