Wednesday 19 September 2012

Waiting to move


I am sheltering from the rain* and writing this as we all wait to be taken to our new accommodation. I am staying at Helen’s overnight as my house is not yet ready. I am looking forward to getting in to my place and seeing what it is like, but I’m happy to wait one more day! All I know at the moment is that it has one bedroom.

The last couple of days have been pretty busy. Yesterday was a full day at the office looking at Gambian law, planning our work under the new country strategy, and starting our language lessons. Afterwards we went down to the beach and had a swim and a beer, which felt like a luxurious way to unwind after a day’s work!  

We’ve been warned about ‘bumsters’ on the beach – guys that hassle you for money, your time, your name, your phone number, your hand in marriage… but so far I’ve manage to avoid anything too problematic! Apparently there are some real pros out there who you get to know, and we have had descriptions about the most notorious guys, but up to press my beach experience has been relatively bumster free!

Before going for a beer we called in at a supermarket near the hotel. Very small shops where you can buy phone credit, food bits and bobs like mayonnaise and candles, and tapalapa (bread with different filling – I haven’t had one yet but will describe it when I do!) are called bitiks. Bitiks are on most corners and roads, but supermarkets can only really be founds in the Kombos. This supermarket was definitely geared towards toubabs – it had everything! It was good to see what can be bought, and at what price… all the items that you can find at home were pretty expensive on a volunteer allowance but not as bad as I was expecting.   

*Last night there was a HUGE thunder storm and it has rained and thundered all day since.

No comments:

Post a Comment