Monday 12 November 2012

Bakau life


Today I spent the whole day working at the VSO office, and then went to the beach for an hour for a quick swim (or wave dodge) in the ocean with Tara.

Before heading home I walked to Bakau market and took a few pictures along the way. My aim was to collect more photos of where I live, including my road and the outside of my house, to help build up an image of where I live. But by the time I returned from the market the light had faded, so the photos of my house will have to wait another day.

As I walked down Atlantic Road I passed the British High Commission, and noticed that they had a new mural of London scenes on the wall. It was really nice to see, and so I whipped my camera out. I managed one snap before two security guards were on my shoulder, and I realised that taking pictures of the consulate was frowned upon! I had a horrible feeling they were going to check my camera and make me delete the picture but thankfully I got away with this one. I do wish I could have got more of the whole wall though!



Then I passed a beautiful wall of flowers and it reminded me that Atlantic Road is one of the loveliest streets in the area, tree lined and floral, and very peaceful. It feels never ending when you are walking in the midday sun however.

As soon as I hit Bakau I was greeted by many people, which continued all the way home. And I realised that over the last few days more women and children have started to talk to me. 


When I first arrived it was just men and bumsters, the women were more reserved and hung back. But now I have really noticed that the women will say hello and chat with me a bit more, often complimenting me on my outfit or my hair which reminds me that Gambians take a lot of pride in their appearance and are quick to compliment anyone they see looking ‘smart’.

Once home I unpacked this week’s food supply and cooked dinner in the dark – a rare day of no electricity or water… the water supply hasn’t been off for weeks now but thankfully I had a fridge full of bottles and water sachets.



After cooking I settled down to a candle lit meal and a night of catching up with my blog posts, feeling happy to live in my nice little African village.




No comments:

Post a Comment