Wednesday 23 October 2013

Beansprouts

Yesterday I went to the market feeling very uninspired and undecided about what to eat for dinner. One vendor said to me "the market is dry today", and it certainly was. My kiliyaan (regular trader) had the usual fare of tomatoes, aubergine, onions and grapefruit and the ladies inside the market just had piles of smoked fish and bitter tomato. So, feeling unsatisfied I settled for the usual half kilo of tomatoes, half kilo of onions, an aubergine... and was gifted a grapefruit. I trudged home (hungry) and pondered whether to add spaghetti or rice to the usual tomato and aubergine concoction.

Imagine my delight when I got home to realise that the beansprouts that I had started off on Saturday evening were ready to eat - in fact more than ready!

Soaked Saturday afternoon and left overnight -
these were the beansprouts on Sunday morning

The beansprouts by Tuesday evening

I think they had sprouted a bit too much really - they had roots forming and big leaves - but they worked out better than I thought they would... 


...and if I nipped the ends off they looked pretty authentic!


I found that I didn't really mind the root and the leaf so I kept them on for extra nutrition. 

I realised that I had some tinned coconut milk, thai green curry paste, aubergine, onion, dried mushrooms and fresh beansprouts - so I made a Thai green curry with rice and was very happy not to eat spaghetti with aubergine and tomato sauce as usual! 

Looks a bit grey due to aubergine and mushroom,
but it was definitely delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment